Carleton Place Arena, 1965 – Picture

Advertisements

The Carleton Place Arena, 1965

From The Carleton Place Canadian, Thursday, July 8th, 1965 :

To the casual observer the steel structure of the old arena, that is now being demolished, appears to be in good condition: however, “all that glitters is not gold.”

As the wooden covering of the building was removed, serious defects in the steel structure began to appear.  Rust and frost heaving were the main causes of trouble, but some of the steel sections were bent badly out of shape due to excessive loading caused by rotting of the wood framing.  Sections of steel columns that were until recently concealed from view are rusted beyond usefulness.  In fact the inspection of the rusted base of one column disclosed a hole roughly four inches long and two inches wide.

All in all the building was in much worse condition structurally than was discovered by the inspection which led to its closing last February.  The citizens of our community can be thankful that the structure did not collapse and perhaps, now in retrospect, appreciate the worry that faced the men responsible for operating the old rink.  Special thanks must be accorded Mr. Arnold Weedmark, the safety inspector, who had the wisdom and courage to make the unpopular decision to close the rink in the middle of the skating season.

It is now apparent that rebuilding the arena around the old steel structure would have been impossible and the decision, taken several months ago by Town Council, to build a completely new building has been further strengthened. 

Demolition of the old building is proceeding rapidly and it should reach its final stages by the weekend.

The Arena Fund Campaign is moving briskly with two of the larger men’s organizations now having made pledges to the Fund, the cash on hand, post-dated cheques and the above mentioned pledges total $25,197.42 dollars.  This however, is only a start towards the campaign objective of $100,000 dollars and everyone in our community will have to dig down and give until it hurts before this project will become a reality.

We no longer have an arena, we need an arena, so now let us build it this year, not the next or the next.  The campaign will have to reach 75 to 80 percent of its objective by October in order for construction to begin in time to provide some skating during this coming season.  Please take this into consideration when the Arena Fund Canvasser calls on you.

The Arena Committee takes it hat off this week to the ladies of the Carleton Place Home and School Association, the Men’s Organization of St. James Church, the Cubs and Boy Scouts of St. Mary’s Church and to an enterprising group of young residents of theLake Ave.region who have been selling their comic books on behalf of the Arena Fund.

It goes without saying that we bow especially low to the still aching members of the Lions and 100 Club who performed valiantly in a soft-ball (?) game last Thursday.  The fireworks provided by the Jaycees were fitting climax for the reassuring demonstrations put on by the Ocean Wave Fire Company.

Further on the H & S bake good sale, Evelyn Sadler reports that the cooking skills of about 40 Prince of Wales district mothers were a big hit with theLakeParkcottagers last Saturday.  The total score for the Arena Fund was 48 dollars.  This week it is the turn of Victoria district ladies and we know they are just waiting to set a new record.

 Editorial by the Arena Committee (1965).

Billy Moore and Scouting in Carleton Place by Frank Roy

Here follows a brief biography of Billy Moore as related to his connection to Scouting in Carleton Place, and to the Billy Moore Collection. 

Mr. Moore was born in Sheffield in England in 1872, and raised in Birmingham.

He served an apprenticeship there as engineer, or what is now called machinist.  In 1898, age 26, before he could find work in his trade, he volunteered for service with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, and in 1899 found himself in the South African Boer War, with the British 1st Army Corps under the command of General Redvers Buller.

 

During the first two weeks of the Boer War, in October, 1899, the Boers swiftly besieged three towns – Mafeking, Kimberley and Ladysmith.  This manoeuver effectively bottled up the 13 thousand British South African Regulars in these towns before the war got going.  The 1st Army Corps arrived in South Africa at the end of October, and General Buller attempted to relieve the siege of Kimberley and Ladysmith.  He was unsuccessful in this.  At the Battle of Colenso on the 15th of December, he failed to cross the Tulega River and relieve Ladysmith.  He then moved his army along the river to another point, and on the 16th of January, crossed the river and began to move back towards Ladysmith.  By this time, the Boers had set up a defensive line in some hills, the largest of which was Spion Kop or Look-out Hill.  The battle over this Hill, which took place on the 23rd and 24th of January, 1900, was to be the bloodiest single engagement of the War; although, as with most bloody military engagements, it was not tactically significant.  Following this, General Buller was replaced in his command by Lord Roberts, who re-grouped the British, outflanked and relieved the town of Kimberley, trapped the Boer General Cronje and forced his surrender with four thousand of his men on 28th February.  With this, the besieging Boer troops around Ladysmith withdrew, relieving that town.  Lord Roberts then moved northwards into the Transvaal to take Pretoria, and on this route, a force was sent to relieve Mafeking, on 18th May, 1900.  By this time, the town had been under siege for 218 days.

 

As all Scouts and Cubs know, during the siege of Mafeking, the man in charge of the troops there was Colonel Baden-Powell, the founder of the Boy Scout movement.  Eight years later, Baden-Powell wrote a book called “Scouting for Boys”, based on his experience with organizing the boys and young men of Mafeking to help out during this siege, by going out for food, carrying messages, bringing in news of the Boer movements, and so on.

 

How many of our Scouts and Cubs here in Carleton Place know that Mr. William (Billy) Moore, the sponsor and leader of the 1st Scout Troop in Carleton Place, was a soldier in all those battles just reviewed, and was with the force which relieved Mafeking?  At that time, and later in 1902, in England, he met Baden-Powell as a soldier.

 

Following the relief of Mafeking, Lord Roberts had to pause in his march for several weeks because of a serious outbreak of enteric fever among the troops.  Mr. Moore was struck down by this fever and several weeks later, he awoke in a hospital in Durban.  The doctor who examined him when he regained consciousness, told the nurse that she should be ready to move him out to the bone-pile the following morning.  But, fortunately for boys in Carleton Place, the doctor was wrong about that one.  As is said, you can’t keep a good man down.  Or, on the other hand, it is also said, there’s no rest for the wicked.

 

Well, Mr. Moore was repatriated in 1902 to England.  At that time in England there was a grave shortage of work, so Mr. Moore came out to Canada in 1903.  For a short time he was night foreman at the Grand Trunk Locomotive repair shop in Stratford, and then in December, 1906, he came to Carleton Place, to take up work in the Canadian Pacific locomotive shop here, in the roundhouse where the wool grower’s store is today.

 

Meanwhile, Baden-Powell had also left the army, and after the success of his books on Scouting, and the formation of Scout Troops in England, he sent a Mr. Hammond to Toronto in the fall of 1908 as Field Secretary, to organize scouting in Canada.  Mr. Moore had spent some time talking and thinking about Scouting, so he wrote Mr. Hammond and invited him up to Carleton Place in the spring of 1909.  Together they went into Rideau Hall to see the Governor-General, Earl Grey, who agreed that starting a troop in Carleton Place or district, would be a good idea.  So they went around on various evenings after work to Almonte, Arnprior, Renfrew, and Pembroke in search of some organization that would stand for sponsor and provide a group committee.  They found no takers.  Then they went to the Canon of the Anglican Church here in Carleton Place.  He also could not encourage them.  Apparently the problem was two-fold.  Firstly, the popular idea of Scouting at the time was associated in people’s minds with the military and no one wanted to support an organization which turned boys into soldiers.  Secondly, there was already a well-established organization, called the Church Boys Brigade; and no one wanted to upset that establishment.  So, in the end, it was agreed that Mr. Moore would be the sponsor, group committee, scout leader, and general factotum; and thus the 1st Carleton Place Scout Troup started operations in May, 1909, with five boys, two of them being Mr. Moore’s sons.

 

It is a further matter of interest that Mr. Moore, in the course of his long association with Scouting, and also as a Boer War veteran, had met every Governor-General of Canada from Earl Grey onwards, except the Honourable Mr. Michener.

 

The first meetings were held in Mr. Moore’s house, but several weeks later, the Troop strength was up to nine members and the Mayor of the town offered them quarters upstairs in his store.  So each Scout brought his own chair and a stick of firewood to the meetings.  Though it has been an up and down sort of affair, Scouting in Carleton Place had grown considerably since then.

 

Some of the highlights claimed by Mr. Moore of the first Carleton Place’s history are that his first assistant, Mr. McCaffery, was the first Assistant Scoutmaster in Canada.  In 1919-20 the Troop had four of the youngest King Scouts in Canada; Gibson Craig, Jim Misner, Howie Foote, and Waddy McIlquham.  In 1920, also, Mr. Moore was awarded the Scout Medal of Merit for his service to the movement.  In 1939, during the visit of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth to Canada, Mr. Moore arranged the use of a special car on the train to Ottawa West and from there guided the Carleton Place band of Scouts, Cubs, and Guides to Rideau Hall so they could personally salute the King and Queen.  Mr. Moore was awarded a Bar for his Merit Medal on this occasion.  So, along with the victorious hockey teams and canoe club, in the years before the war, the Scout Troop was a credit to the town also.

Mr. Moore’s enthusiastic support of Scouting continued in his later years and in 1969, the 60th anniversary of the 1st Carleton Place Scout Troop, the Troop presented Mr. Moore with a Diamond Willow Staff made from a stick of willow sent in from Saskatoon.  The reference for this is:  (http://carverscompanion.com/Ezine/Vol2Issue2/BobGander/DiamondWillow.html).

 

Mr. Moore dedicated the staff as a trophy for annual award at St. Lawrence Region Camporees, to the Troop displaying the best scouting spirit.  The first Troop to win it in 1969 was from Deep River.  Where it is now is not immediately known.

 

Billy continued to provide encouragement and support to the leaders and the boys until his death at the age of 97 years, on September 26, 1972.

 

Mr. Moore was a fine gardener.  On his passing, his wife Mrs. Moore decided to move into more convenient quarters.  Sad at having to leave all the bulbs and plantings in the garden, she offered them to the boys of the 1st Carleton Place Troop.  The lads carefully harvested the material that fall, had a garden sale, and with the money raised, funded the first Billy Moore Collection of books at the Carleton Place Public Library.  It would be nice if a collection identified with Billy Moore could be continued.

 

Frank Roy

Perth, Ontario

2011