Translation of the Establishment of the Carlton Place Library Association & Mechanics Institute in 1846:
“At a public meeting held pursuant to notice at Carlton* Place in the office of Messrs. R. Bell & Co. on the evening of the 7th March, 1846. Robt. Bell Esq. was called to the chair. David Lawson appointed secretary.
Resolved that a Committee of three be appointed to draft a constitution for a public library.
Resolved that R. Bell Esq. & Messrs. J. A. Gemmel & David Cram form the above Committee.
Resolved that a public meeting be called on Saturday the 14th Inst. At 7 o’clock p.m. when the Committee will report proceedings.
D. Lawson, Secretary
At a public meeting held pursuant to notice at Carlton Place in office of Messrs. R. Bell & Co on the evening of the 14th March 1846.
Proposed that the Committee read their report. R. Bell Esq. proceeded to read the following report.
Rules and regulations of the Carlton Place Library Association & Mechanics Institute:
This society shall be called the Carlton Place Library Association & Mechanics Institute; and its object shall be the establishment and management of a public library, the acquisition of suitable apparatus in connection with the Mechanics Institute, and a supply of lectures on useful & interesting subjects.”
*Please note that Carleton was spelled without the ‘e’ in this document.