After A Long Life of Activity the Well-known Head of the Findlay Stove Foundry Goes to his Reward
Died at his home on High street, Sunday, Aug. 26, at 1 p.m., David Findlay, in his 75th year.
Mr. Findlay was the eldest son of the late David Findlay, a native of Scotland, and his wife Margaret Kirkpatrick, and was born in Perth, Ont., April 4, 1860, and came with his parents whilst still an infant to Carleton Place, where he has virtually spent his entire life.
David Findlay, Sr., a moulder by trade, started business here in a small way, manufacturing plow points and farmers’ coolers and cook stoves, gradually enlarging his lines. As the business extended and the family grew up the elder sons were associated with the father in the work and in 1885, David and William were taken into partnership under the firm name of David Findlay & Sons. Previous to this, David, Jr. went over to the U. States, and at Albany and Boston spent some time in acquiring the advanced methods of moulding and stove manufacture.
A few years later the father retired and the sons took over the business under the firm name of Findlay Bros., and their success is evidenced by the mammoth plant that has been erected, the product of which is known from sea to sea and even beyond to the antipodes. Two years ago the company was reorganized and became Findlays Limited with David Findlay as president and William Findlay vice-president.
David Findlay was a man of exceptional energy, with a wonderful grasp of detail, and was at all times in touch with the affairs of the business from the bottom up, and due to his effort, ably supported by his brother, is to be attributed the success they have made.
A man of generous impulses, Mr. Findlay every remembered the hospitable ways of the pioneer, and the poor and needy never went empty away from his door. He was a Presbyterian in religion, and at the union in 1925 entered the United Church of Canada. For many years he was superintendent in the Sunday school and always took a deep interest in the welfare of the church. In fraternal circles he had been associated with the Oddfellows, the Masons, and the Foresters. Although given the opportunity he never accepted municipal honors, although he did serve for a time on the Board of Education.
In politics he was a Liberal, and in 1922 was a candidate for the Dominion House in the by-election caused by the death of the late J. A. Stewart.
Fond of spo0rt of all kinds he was a generous supporter of the canoe club, hockey, and baseball.
He enjoyed prosperity quietly and bore adversity bravely. He was a splendid citizen, filled the various relations of life as son, husband, father, brother, friend, and filled them well, who can do more? But he is gone. In the sunset of life. Yet in such a death there is really no cause for grief. His life work was done, and well done.
In 1898 Mr. Findlay was united in marriage with Miss Effie Hamilton, daughter of the late Duncan Hamilton and Mrs. Hamilton, who survives, with five sons and three daughters, viz., D. K. Findlay, barrister; D. Hamilton Findlay, at present Mayor of the town; George E. Findlay, K. C. and H. J. Findlay; the daughters, Mrs. D. McColl, Toronto; Mrs. W. J. Phillips, Carleton Place and Miss Helen at home. Five brothers also survive – William, George H., John K. and Thomas Findlay, Carleton Place, and Dr. Eph. Findlay of Chicago; and one sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Lang of Edmonton, Alta.
The funeral took place yesterday afternoon from his late residence to Pine Grove cemetery, and was very largely attended by friends and acquaintances from far and near. The service at the home was conducted by Rev. D. C. Munro, of Memorial Park Church, of which deceased was a member. He paid a very high tribute to his character. The closing prayer was made by Rev. W. A. Dobson of Montreal, a former pastor of the family.
The honorary pallbearers were Messrs. C. W. Bates, Robt. C. Patterson, Wm. Baird, W. R. Caldwell, N. M. Riddell, and C. F. R. Taylor. The bearers were the five sons and a nephew, Mr. D. D. Findlay.
In the cortege were Mr. T. L. Moffatt, president of the Moffatt Stove Co. of Weston, Ont.; Herman Fortier, vice-pres., of P. T. Legare Ltd., Montreal; F. M. Tobin, of Woodstock, secretary of the Stove Manufacturers Association of Canada; Herman Clare, of the Clare Stove Mfg. Co., Preston; Stewart I. Kells, Montreal; Geo. Gray of Gray-Harris Ltd., Ottawa; W. S. Dickson, representing Can. Tube and Steel Products; Chas. Connor, of J. H. Connor & Son; Carl Morse, Dis. Freight agent, C.P.R., Ottawa; Mayor P. McCallum, Dr. Dunn, P. A. Greig, Andrew Bell, P. Jamieson, W. C. Pollock, Almonte; Judge Wilson, J. S. L. McNeely, Perth; B. H. Soper, J. A. Clark, Smiths Falls; Sheriff Crooks, Dr. C. H. Brown, Raymond Bangs, Howard Brown, Ottawa; and many others.
An immense number of floral tributes were received, mute tributes of affection and sympathy.
The stores had the blinds drawn as the cortege passed up Bridge Street and several flags were flown at half-mast.
All classes and organizations in the town were represented in those who assembled to pay tribute to one who had done so much to advance the interests of the town.
“So He giveth His beloved sleep.”